I think there are opportunities to ride a bicycle in Japan. If you know the bicycle traffic rules in Japan, you are not to be called out by the visiting guy.
It’s easy, so I can remember.
- Rules of bicycles prescribed by the revised Road Traffic Act
- 14.Let’s drive safely
- 1.Signal disregard
- 2.Do not pass traffic bans
- 3.It slows down on a pedestrian road
- 4.Drive on the left side of the road
- 5.Pedestrians take precedence in roadside belts
- 6.Prohibited entry of blocking railroad crossing
- 7.The intersection goes safe
- 8.Do not disturb the priority car at the intersection
- 9.At the roundabout, it must proceed safely
- 10.Let’s keep pauses
- 11.Rules on running on a sidewalk
- 12.Do not ride a bicycle not braking
- 13.Drunk driving
Rules of bicycles prescribed by the revised Road Traffic Act
The following 14 acts are stipulated as “dangerous acts”.
- Signal disregard
- Do not pass traffic bans
- It slows down on a pedestrian road
- Drive on the left side of the road
- Pedestrians take precedence in roadside belts
- Prohibited entry of blocking railroad crossing
- The intersection goes safe
- Do not disturb the priority car at the intersection
- At the roundabout, it must proceed safely
- Let’s keep pauses
- Rules on running on a sidewalk
- Do not ride a bicycle not braking
- Drunk driving
- Let’s drive safely
I will explain each of the dangerous acts and the correct rule one by one.
”14.Let’s drive safely” I think that various actions apply to you, so I will first explain it.
14.Let’s drive safely
You must do something that you should not drive with one hand blocked and do not cause harm to others.
×Self-driving smartphone・Umbrella(I can not see or call)
×No-light driving at night(Battery exhaustion does not apply)
×There is no reflector behind(Notify my presence to the car behind)
×There is no bell(Do not ring toward people)
×Running parallel and two-seater(You can ride only one infant younger than 6 years old)
These actions apply to this item.
At the intersection with traffic lights you must follow the traffic lights.
2.Do not pass traffic bans
3.It slows down on a pedestrian road
When walking on a pedestrian road, the pedestrian takes precedence and the bicycle has to slow down.
4.Drive on the left side of the road
In Japan, the bicycle must pass the left side of the roadway.If you have a bicycle exclusive road, you will drive on a bicycle exclusive road.
5.Pedestrians take precedence in roadside belts
6.Prohibited entry of blocking railroad crossing
Do not enter a railroad crossing where the alarm is ringing or the circuit breaker is about to close.
7.The intersection goes safe
If you have a bicycle crossing at the intersection, you will pass the bicycle crossing zone.
8.Do not disturb the priority car at the intersection
When turning right at an intersection, do not block the traffic of opposing straight-ahead vehicles.
9.At the roundabout, it must proceed safely
When you enter the roundabout, go slowly and run with care about the safety of other cars and pedestrians
10.Let’s keep pauses
This sign should be suspended.
11.Rules on running on a sidewalk
When walking through a sidewalk, pedestrians are given priority, and when interfering with the passage of pedestrians, they must temporarily stop.When traveling on a sidewalk unavoidably it is necessary to “slow down on the side of the road”
Basically you should not drive except in the following cases.
- 「Places permitted by signs」
- 「If the driver is an elderly person under 13 years old or over 70 years old or is physically impaired」
- 「From the traffic situation unavoidable」
12.Do not ride a bicycle not braking
Do not drive a bicycle with brakes broken or not attached on public roads.
Do not drive a bicycle with alcohol.
I can not even get an earphone. You will concentrate on music rather than surrounding safety, so you’d better avoid it.
Please remember the 14 items above.
Enjoy cycling in Japan too.